Sunday 15 April 2012

Chapter 16: Moving On (part 2)



Our founder, Adam Slade, came to Sunset Valley many years ago with a vision.  Rather than settle for a 'run-of-the-mill' life he spent all his savings on a  large plot of land on which he, and his successors, would build a family estate that would be a landmark across the three towns. His only son, Brandon, has continued that work with the hope of passing the vision to his children, Cleo and Carl.

In this chapter Cleo and Carl learn of Brandon's plan  ...


It was the day of Carl's graduation, Cleo was taking her time in the bathroom to make sure she looked her best for her brother's big day.

While preparing herself, she overheard her father on the phone in his bedroom. He sounded rather agitated.


"Look, I just want confirmation that the changes I made are permanent."

...

"Yes, that is what I setup, a one-way transit, I have disabled the 'snap-back' protocol."

...

"I know, I know it's not, but that is what I want to do. As I said, I want to check that there is no secondary 'safety' feature that will initiate a forced return."


Rushing downstairs, Cleo tells Carl what she has heard.

She is afraid that their father is planning some sort of one-way trip somewhere. Something that he has not discussed with either of them ...


Carl says that he understands Cleo’s worries

"But, sis, did he actually say anything about him going anywhere? He was probably just discussing one of his experiments at the lab ..."

"Maybe you're right Carl, but there was something in his voice – he sounded so, I don't know, determined. And what with how he's been ... I'm just really worried about him."

"I know, but he's probably just getting back into work again and wanted to make sure everything was OK. Look, let's get today out of the way and then we can worry about Dad. It’s not like he's going to do anything today is it?"


While Cleo goes back to her room to pick a suitable outfit Brandon and Carl tuck into breakfast.

"So, son, are you nervous about the ceremony today?"

"Nah, not really Dad, should be sweet. Jus' gonna pick up the certificate and pose for the photos, it's not as if we're making speeches or anything."

"No, no, I suppose. You know that I'm very proud of you – the first Slade to graduate with honours, quite an achievement."

A few hours later, the family was at the Sunset Valley Academy to celebrate Carl's graduation.


For Brandon this was a very special day.

Both his children were now adults. Cleo a well respected fire fighter and now Carl was about to set out and find his own unique way in the world

If only Qiana had still been here to witness it …


As the crowd dissipated, Cleo handed her brother a small gift box.

"A little something from Dad and me, as a reward for doing so well. Hope you like it."

Carl ripped open the box to reveal an electronic key.

"We thought it was time to move up from that rattley old Jalopy to something a whole lot smarter and greener. It's nothing special but we reckon you'll love it." Cleo explained

"A new car! Oh my god, you guys are so great. Thank you!"


A couple of days after Carl's graduation ceremony, Brandon calls Cleo and Carl in to the dining room for a chat.

"Cleo, Carl, I’ve got something important to tell you. I don't think you will like it, but my mind is made up and I really think this is the right thing for me to do."

Carl and Cleo looked nervously at one another, Cleo mouthing to her brother "I knew it, I told you he was planning to leave ..."

"I'm sorry," Brandon continued, "you know I have not been happy since your mother's death and everything I have tried has not made a difference."

"But Dad ..." Cleo interrupted, "No, let me finish please." Brandon cut her off.

"You're both great kids and I am really proud of both of you. Carl, I know you are only just starting out on a career path but I know you are going to be amazing at whatever you decide to do."

"I’ve had a great life here and now that you are both adults I can make a change, knowing that you will be fine."

"OK Dad, you’re making be worried now, what are you planning to do?" Carl said, clasping his sister’s hand tightly in his.

Brandon took a deep breath, looking directly at each of them in turn "I am leaving the Valley. I just cannot stay here without Qiana. Everywhere I go, everyone I see, reminds me of her and it tears me up."

As tears welled up in her eyes Cleo tried to understand "But Dad, that will pass, it will get better. I mean, with Pascal moving in, you'll even have new family to help and to love you ..."

Reaching across the table to touch her hand, Brandon tried to reassure her "And that is partly why I feel I can do this now. You will have Pascal, and maybe soon start your own family. And you, Carl, it won't be long before you find that someone special."

Finally he explained his plan. "I have setup a special historical research section at the Institute and I will be the first in-place researcher. I will use our time machine to go back to Sunset Valley's distant past and create an archive of direct research that the guys at the lab can then use to create a complete historical picture of this valley."

"But you’ll be coming back, right?" Carl asked.

"No. I have disabled all the safe return protocols so that I can stay there and provide data for as long as I am able."

Carl and Cleo could hardly believe what their father was saying, Cleo was in tears and Carl couldn’t help but feel angry at what Brandon was planning to do. "Dad, you can't do this! Not so soon after Mum, we can't lose you both! I won't let you."

Brandon understood that this was very difficult for them both but was determined to go ahead with his plan. "Carl, I know this is painful now and I really wouldn't want to hurt you but this is the only way out I can see for myself. It will give me a purpose again, and give me space to move on. Please, let me do this, I want to go knowing that you understand that I have to do this."

As much as it hurt, Cleo and Carl knew that Brandon's mind was made up that this might be his only chance to find some sort of happiness again. That if they forced him to stay they would end up watching his slow decline and that might be even more painful.


That evening Pascal arrived, to be greeted by a tearful Cleo. Clearly something was up.

He asked her what the matter was but Cleo could hardly speak, she just held him tight, very tight, and whispered "It's Dad, he's leaving. He's not coming back and I don't know what I'm going to do."


It was early, the following morning Cleo had somehow managed to get some sleep, getting comfort from having Pascal there with her.


As had become something of a habit, Carl had risen early and was in the kitchen preparing the day's main meal.

Although, on this morning he wasn't really focused on the food preparation, his mind frequently wandering off, going over again and again what his father had said the previous day.


Brandon had hardly slept at all as he went through his plan for the final time. Now, with everything in place, as Cleo slept and Carl worked in the kitchen he punched the instructions into the control panel of his time machine.


The settings were confirmed and the door opened.

With a pause for one last look around at the home he had created, and to wish his family well Brandon leapt forward into the mist that would transport him back to the distant past.


The doors on the time machine closed for the last time and Brandon was gone, to begin his final adventure, secure in the knowledge that the Slade dynasty was in the safe hands of Cleo and Carl.




Chapter 17: Arrivals





No comments:

Post a Comment